The German Marshall Fund, Berlin office is looking for an intern in the Immigration and Integration department, starting January 2014.
The German Marshall Fund of the United States (GMF) is a non-partisan American public policy and grant-making institution dedicated to promoting better understanding and cooperation between North America and Europe on transatlantic and global issues.
The Berlin office is seeking an energetic academic, ideally, pursuing a degree in Migration Studies, International Relations, or Sociology preferably with a focus on immigration and integration, or another related field. The internship will focus on gaining in-depth knowledge of the foundation. S/he will assist GMF Immigration staff in Berlin.
The objectives of the internship are, primarily, to provide interns with an opportunity to gain practical work experience to supplement their academic program for future work in a field related to the GMF’s mission; and to work in an international environment on political issues in order to gain experience working in a mutual learning and knowledge sharing environment with world experts.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
* Provide logistical support for GMF’s immigration programming, such as the Migration Strategy Group on Global Competitiveness that looks into labor migration, current country focus is on Morocco;
* Conduct background research on immigration and integration issues in Europe and the United States; and
* Assist on various administrative tasks, as needed.
Qualifications and Requirements:
* Candidate pursuing a graduate degree in Migration Studies, International Relations, Sociology, or another related field.
* Excellent organizational skills combined with the ability to work well under pressure.
* Excellent communication and writing skills.
* Ability to work independently and as part of small team.
* Fluency in English and proficiency in German language skills required.
Start and Length of Internship:
Preferred starting date: Early January 2014
Preferred length of internship: A minimum of 3 months (preferably 6 months); full-time or part-time
Pay rate: 400 EUR per month
Please note that Non-EU-citizens need to either have a student status or already be in possession of a work permit.
If you are interested in this internship, please forward your resume and cover letter to Franka Ellman (fellman [at] gmfus [dot] org) by November 29, 2013.
GMF is an Equal Opportunity Employer.